I got our beautiful dog Miffy from our local rescue centre Wolfwood about a year after I went self employed, and I tell anyone who will listen that she’s the best business decision I’ve made.
She goes nearly everywhere with me, makes me go for 2 walks a day and comes to pester me when I’ve been sitting at the computer for too long.
Five and a bit years on and I’m noticing and appreciating her all the more. I have learnt so much from her that I thought I’d share a few of the best lessons…
1. Giving people a warm welcome can absolutely make their day (but not everyone appreciates a sloppy kiss on the first meeting).
2. Eat, sleep and poop are the essentials covered, but being out in nature brings joy and contentment.
3. When you know what you, want stay focussed
4. Being a very task focussed person even walking the dog was a job to be done efficiently. She wasn’t interested in that and has taught me to slow down, lie in the long grass and just be.
5. Don’t be small. Take your space in the world, people will get the hang of it.
6. Practice your skills and you will be rewarded well.
7. Always carry snacks and drink plenty of water.
8. Not everyone will like you, and that’s ok.
9. Lying in the sun is never a waste of time (especially when you live up north).
10. Don’t neglect your afternoon nap.
11.. With so many distractions in the world, at times we all need someone to encourage us to keep moving in the right direction…
12. It’s not about how often you fall over (and she falls over a LOT), it’s about getting back up and carrying on.
13. Last but not least – don’t forget to appreciate those who put food in our bowl
And the bonus tip – Most people see a dog with a leg missing, but Miffy just knows that she is, what Wolfwood calls, a big bitch and so confidently stands her ground when others are growling and getting in a tizz. I’m still working on that one!
Over to you….. Have you got an office pet? What have they taught you?